Since the demand for delivering quality software at lightning speed is rising, streamlining and automating the testing process has become paramount for all software companies. There was a time when software testing required much human effort to execute just one test case. And app performance assessment seemed to be impossible with manual testing along with outcome measurement.
But it’s not like that anymore! With the evolution of AI, machine learning, and data science, it has become possible to deliver a bug-free experience to users with the help of sophisticated testing tools.
Now, automation testing opens up new opportunities for businesses in a variety of industries, offering fast test execution at high quality. And that’s not the only advantage automated testing delivers to companies. It has much more to offer. Cost optimization, an increase in software efficiency, and reduction in manual operations are just a few of the benefits you can reap by opting for automated testing.
What are the evolving trends in automated testing, and what tools do you need to ensure your product is bug-free and ready-to-use?
To find answers to these questions, we’ve handpicked the top 11 automated testing instruments we successfully apply at our work!
- Key Trends in Automation Testing
- Best 11 Automation Tools in 2021
- Rational Functional Tester
- Silk Test
- Mercury LoadRunner
- Test Complete
- Wrapping Up
Key Trends in Automation Testing
In 2019, we have witnessed the rise of numerous trendy practices in automated testing that appeared to change this industry forever. Big Data, AI, machine learning, and other technologies are revolutionizing QA testing and bringing it to a brand-new level!
So, let’s unravel what trends in automated testing are waiting for you in 2021!
Trend One: The Growth of Cybersecurity Testing
IBM’s report has revealed that data breaches were the biggest financial threat for US companies, which have amounted to nearly $8.19 million in total losses. It is recommended that QA specialists use vulnerability scanners and static code analyses to address data threats and enhance the state of security systems.
Trend Two: Robotic Process Automation to Improve Software Quality
Robotic process automation is a growing trend in the field of automated testing. By adding a bit of robotics to the QA process, you’ll have the opportunity to detect technical problems in software and structure APIs in the system in the blink of an eye.
Trend Three: The Rise of ‘Hyper Automation’
‘Hyper automation’ will gain traction in 2021. This trend combines machine learning and various automation testing tools to measure and track testing results. By doing so, ‘hyper automation’ speeds up and automates some QA tasks in the software testing process.
Best 11 Automation Testing Tools in 2021
Want to have a jumpstart in your automated testing software journey and enhance your software product’s quality? If so, knowledge of the top automation tools is essential. This way, you need to have all hands on deck and inform yourself as much as possible.
If you stay at home and want to update your knowledge of automation testing instruments, it’s high time to learn Selenium—an open-source automation framework for testing web apps. By knowing how to use this instrument, you’ll keep up with growing trends on the software testing market. Some things to keep in mind about the Selenium testing tool before learning how it works:
- Test scripts can be written in various programming languages like Python, PHP, Ruby, Java, etc.
- Tests are carried out in operating systems such as Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- It’s possible to integrate Selenium with testing frameworks like TestNG and JUnit for making test cases and reports.
Eggplant, also known as Eggplant Functional, is a graphic user interface (GUI) that tests user interfaces for software products. Originally this testing tool was developed for the macOS in 2002. But with the extension of its functionality, it can now execute tests for Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android mobile platforms as well. Eggplant, as a top AI testing automation technology, offers such advantages to QA engineers as:
- Effective software testing of user interfaces, APIs, database, etc.
- Intelligent image recognition algorithms that help testers see how a computer screen will be displayed after testing.
- Automation of functional test models, showing the data performance of customer journey maps.
This automated testing tool is an all-in-one solution for regression, GUI, and automated functional testing developed by the Rational Software Department at IBM. QA specialists can create scripts using a test record for recording user actions regarding the application. In addition, the Rational Functional Tester delivers a wide range of technologies which enable testers to execute test cases better:
- Storyboard Testing simplifies visual testing and editing with screenshots.
- ScriptAssure determines discrepancies in the object map and representation of the graphical data.
- Data-driven testing executes different data tests in functional testing.
Ranorex is an automation tool that allows QA professionals to execute test cases for web, desktop, and mobile platforms. This instrument doesn’t have a scripting language for app automation, implementing instead with programming languages like C# and Visual Basic.NET. Ranorex supports different environments and settings. Here are some benefits that this tool offers to automated testing:
- Seamless cross-browser testing on major web browsers like Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
- Smooth mobile testing on iOS and Android platforms.
- Script-free tests with keyword testing algorithms set by developers.
- Application of UI-element recognition patterns to test GUIs.
Silk Test is a tool for functional, regression, localization, and cross-platform testing. It was created by Segue Software and acquired by Micro Focus International in 2009. Silk Test has a powerful test automation system, helping QA specialists leverage software performance. The functionalities of and methods used by this instrument to perform test cases include:
- Test assets for monitoring and improving testing performance.
- Enhances and records Selenium scripts for automation testing.
- Simple parallel test execution to track testing tasks and performance.
Mercury LoadRunner is an automated testing tool developed by Micro Focus. With no crunch, this software testing instrument will measure system behavior and help you improve app performance. Whether your software has problems with the operating system, database servers, or network elements, Mercury LoadRunner will be at your disposal. And here are some useful features of this tool:
- Smooth integration with a wide range of environments and protocols like Oracle, SAP, WebSockets, etc.
- Uses ANSI C as a script language, but if you know how to use the C language, scripts are generated by LoadRunner.
- Load testing helps QA specialists test whether the app works fine and how it will proceed with a high load of user transactions.
TestComplete is an AI-based automation tool created by SmartBear Software and released in 1999. It’s an all-in-one solution for functional and unit testing and supports many testing types like distributed, data-driven, and many others. If you’d like to try TestComplete for automation testing, here are some advantages of testing with this easy-to-use tool:
- UI testing without bone-crunching test execution across desktop, web, and mobile apps.
- AI visual recognition pattern will help you find unmatched objects in software systems quickly and precisely.
- Record & Replay function is a sure-fire way to optimize customizable object repository and track app updates effectively.
- Seamless multi-technology and app integration with Squish GUI Tester.
- End-to-end image-based testing, using 2D and 3D graphic plots.
- Optical Character Recognition is a convenient feature for text recognition and verification.
- Distributed Batch testing performs tests with sets of scripts with detailed logging and software results.
Worksoft is a codeless automation tool created to solve business problems, according to the company’s official website. This instrument is a suitable option for testing enterprise applications. Siemens, Salesforce, SAP, Oracle, and many other renowned companies applied Worksoft to QA testing. So, what makes this automation testing tool great? To find the answer to this question, have a look at Worksoft’s benefits:
- Object Action Framework helps developers create a series of test cases for GUI testing.
- A large library offers various business process scenarios to enhance automation testing.
- Seamless integration with other software products like IBM RQM, SAP Solution Manager, Jira, and much more.
SahiPro automation tool is useful for testing web, desktop, and mobile applications with no pain! This instrument has Accenture, Lenovo, and other big tech companies among customers. SahiPro is a good choice for those QA specialists who prefer to solve business tasks rather than spend much time on writing and maintaining code. But this automation tool has a lot to offer. So, let’s dive into SahiPro’s advantages in detail:
- Perfect for all technologies to test web, desktop, and mobile apps.
- Thorough testing process of technical issues with a key focus on improving app performance.
- Parallel and Distributed Playback for placing test scripts in a suite file and distributing them across all tested software products.
- Customized pre-built themes for your app that will help you stand out from your market competitors.
- Powerful reporting system for web, mobile, and desktop applications.
There are still many challenges for automated testing in the QA process, and selection of the right testing tool is one of them. In our article, we’ve compiled the top 11 testing automation tools that can be used to ensure your software product is bug-free and ready to be launched on the market. So, we do hope that some of these instruments will be at hand for you and solve your pain points in software testing.
At LITSLINK, we apply the latest trends to automation testing and provide high-quality, reliable software services for our clients.
Curious to know how we do it? If so, don’t hesitate to drop us a line!